Think of Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the early 1990´s, and there you have the original grunge look. Everything began in Seattle where rock band got inspired from different kind of music genre, for instance hardcore punk, heavy metal and indie rock and the grunge music was soon born. These grunge bands, like Nirvana also got the inspiration for their styles from the punk culture and wore working class clothing, like jeans and checkered fabrics. The grunge look also has its rots from the early 1980´s fashion, which means ripped and shredded clothing.
Nowadays, the grunge look has become a popular once again and now a few sub-genre was developed from the grunge look, for instance neo- grunge and glam grunge.
HOW TO PULL THE GRUNGE LOOK OFF
The grunge look is all about having a thrift vibe with a lot of layers, so wear clothes that do NOT match.
- The grunge look is all about dark colors so if you want to pull the grunge look off, its time to investing in more dark colors clothing.
- Jeans, jeans and yes, more jeans! The jeans is the main element for the grunge look and not the “normal” kind of jeans. Think ripped and worn-out jeans and you are in the right direction!
- FLANNEL! Its was a while ago I wore flannel so I can barely remember how the fabric feels like :S But, yes flannel! And think bigger size.
- The T-shirt. Should I more? No exactly. Thats what I thought.
- Boots is a must to be a true grunge! So get yourself a par of clunky boots asap.
- Don´t wash your hair for a while. Ok, thats a bit (well a lot) disgusting, but don´t worry! Just got some saltwater products to get the crunchy hair.
FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM; @tarasamvat